1512 Dupont Ave. N
The Mengelkoch house built in 1905 has been lovingly owned and maintained by Angie and Charlie Nelson since they purchased it in 1973. The house features built-ins, pocket doors and natural woodwork throughout its two stories as well as a fully developable attic and semi-finished basement. Significant restorations include the updated kitchen, second floor deck and parquet wood floors. The original carriage barn in the back makes a generous three-car garage with a full hay loft. Located in the historic Old Highland neighborhood on the edge of downtown, this home shares the street with numerous turn-of-the-century Victorian homes. The house will be on the market shortly.
A self-guided walking tour of Historic Old Highland for both Android and Apple mobile devices can be found at MinneapolisHistorical.org. Download it for FREE and then take a tour of the beautiful homes in Old Highland, named one of the Best Old House Neighborhoods in the country by This Old House Magazine (April 2012).
1406 Girard Ave N.
Angela, Eric, Aaron and Elizabeth
When we and our two young children moved from Woodbury to North last year we wanted to find a great house and neighborhood. When we discovered Old Highland we instantly knew it was for us. We love the location as it’s a quick trip downtown for Twins games (or Santa during Christmas), and our kids like the short walk in summer to the waterpark. Our house is a former duplex that was completely renovated inside and out into a single family home. When we toured the house we loved the original woodwork, hardwood flooring, and all the updates. We’ve enjoyed being a part of North Minneapolis and Old Highland. If you’re looking for a great community come discover our neighborhood!
1012-14 17 Ave. N.
Michael Schuler, descended from original owner
The Vinzent Schuler House was built in 1905. The architects for this neoclassical brick duplex were Boehme and Cordelia, who also designed the American Swedish Institute, the Hosmer Library and the Gluek Building, all in Minneapolis. In 1889, Vinzent Schuler opened Schuler Shoes at Washington and Broadway Avenues. They have grown to eight stores and are one of the oldest family owned businesses in Minneapolis. Vinzent built this custom home for his new bride. Vacant, boarded and condemned in 2009, the house has been completely restored to its original condition, Woodwork has been stripped and interior arches and interior columns replaced or restored to period. “Modernizations” have been removed. Original cabinetry in both kitchens and both bathrooms has also been restored and saved. Missing brass doorknobs and escutcheons were replaced with fixtures appropriate to 1905. The house was removed from condemnation in July of 2010. It is being shown by members of the Schuler family.