A Small Town in a Big City
Since 1974, the all-volunteer Old Highland Neighborhood Association has been working to build community and preserve North Minneapolis’ historic homes. Named a “Best Old House Neighborhood” by This Old House Magazine, Old Highland is one of Minneapolis’ hottest up-and-coming neighborhoods.
Years in action
Years on the home tour
Old Highland holds board meetings the first Thursday of every month, and neighbors host at least one official neighborhood social gathering each month.
All are welcome – please join us!
Old Highland community members are passionate about preserving our historical resources – both within Old Highland and beyond. Neighbors freely share information about caring for historic homes, and sponsor workshops and educational resources to facilitate passing on this valuable information.
Old Highland encompasses over 30 square blocks. The outer limits are defined by Plymouth Avenue to the South, West Broadway Avenue to the North, Aldrich Avenue to the East, and Girard Avenue to the West.
The area known today as the Old Highland Neighborhood was opened for settlement in 1857, and major growth occurred during the 1880’s and 1890’s. This period saw large architecturally designed and contractor built residences of distinctive period styles. The population was generally merchants who operated businesses along Washington, Plymouth, and West Broadway. At this time the neighborhood first became known as Highland, so called because it was located on the first high land above Bassett Creek and Oak Lake to the South. Many fine residences from this era still survive today.